From the PEN/Faulkner Award-winning author James Salter and his wife, Kay—amateur chefs and perfect hosts—here is a charming, beautifully illustrated tour de table: a food lover's companion that, with an entry for each day of the year, takes us from a Twelfth Night cake in January to a champagne dinner on New Year's Eve. Life Is Meals is rich with culinary wisdom, history, recipes, literary pleasures, and the authors' own memories of successes and catastrophes.
• The menu on the Titanic on the fatal night
• Reflections on dining from Queen Victoria, JFK, Winnie-the-Pooh, Garrison Keillor, and many others
• The seductiveness of a velvety Brie or the perfect martini
• How to decide whom to invite to a dinner party—and whom not to
• John Irving's family recipe for meatballs; Balzac's love of coffee
• The greatest dinner ever given at the White House
• Where in Paris Samuel Beckett and Harold Pinter had French onion soup at 4:00 a.m.
• How to cope with acts of God and man-made disasters in the kitchen
Sophisticated as well as practical, opinionated, and indispensable, Life Is Meals is a tribute to the glory of food and drink, and the joy of sharing them with others. "The meal is the emblem of civilization," the Salters observe. "What would one know of life as it should be lived, or nights as they should be spent, apart from meals?"
BONUS: This edition includes an excerpt from James Salter's All That Is.
Share your thoughts on the Life Is Meals Classics & Literary eBook with others!
|Title of eBook: Life Is Meals|
|Release Date: 11-30-2010|
|Allowed Countries (hover)|
|Publisher: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group|
This eBook download is available in the following formats:
|Parent title||Life Is Meals|
|Devices||Samsung Tablet, Apple Ipad & Iphone, Barnes & Noble Nook, Kobo eReader, Aluratek Libre, Iliad, Nokia, Blackberry, Hanlin|
|Note||ePub, short for electronic publication is one of our favorites and should be yours for a couple of reasons. ePub offers reflowable text giving you flexibility to manipulate how the content is presented. Moreover, lots of cool features are now being developed for the reader like advanced video and audio. ePub is now an industry standard, so all of the "non-propreitary" hardware manufacturers are now supporting it.|